Since 2006, the ACT Council of Social Service has coordinated the Canberra & District Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Community Sector Worker of the Year Award. The award will be presented to the recipient at the ACT NAIDOC Ball on Saturday 1 July 2017. This award recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander volunteers and workers at the forefront of this vital work.
- Nominees must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- Nominees must volunteer or be employed in the ACT & region, in the community sector or within a non-government agency that works with the local community.
Please include as much information and detail to demonstrate:
- How the worker is providing links between their organisations and their Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities
- How they have supported Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities through their work
- Any achievements such as further education, training and leadership (optional)
- Any information on maintaining connections with their community and culture (optional).
Nominations must be received at ACTCOSS by Wednesday 21 June 2017.
2017 NAIDOC Week: 2-9 July
2017 NAIDOC Week celebrations are an opportunity for all Australians to come together to celebrate history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait people.
The 2017 NAIDOC Week theme 'Our Language Matters' aims to emphasise and celebrate the unique and essential role that Indigenous languages play in cultural identity, linking people to their land and water and in the transmission of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history , spirituality and rites, through story and song.
For more information visit the NAIDOC website: www.naidoc.org.au