Submission: Inquiry in the form of an evaluation of current ACT Policing arrangements
8 April 2020
ACTCOSS has made a submission to the Select Committee on Justice and Community Safety to highlight key issues on the community engagement activities of ACT Policing.
ACTCOSS supports a model of policing focused on non-punitive approaches and productive engagement with community organisations and people experiencing disadvantage and targeted by over-policing. ACTCOSS highlights issues including:
- Over-policing of marginalised and disadvantaged population groups
- The role of ACT Policing in reducing Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander incarceration
- Training for ACT Policing to be competent, respectful and responsive in engagement with people with disability
- Insufficiency of data on interactions with vulnerable community groups
- Improving engagement with community sector organisations and organisations representing vulnerable, disadvantaged and marginalised community members.