17 July 2020
ACTCOSS 2020 ACT Election issue brief
For a just and fair Canberra, the next ACT Government must:
- Commit to real increases in spending on frontline health services to raise ACT service standards up to those of other jurisdictions
- Through a commitment to the Wellbeing Framework and the Preventative Health Strategy, increase investment as part of the ACT’s health policy in the non-clinical needs of low-income and disadvantaged Canberrans as an acknowledgement of the social determinants of health
- Produce a blueprint for the development of the Canberra Hospital
- Design and implement a Disability Health Strategy
- More funding for sexual and reproductive health services
- Support for pain management services
- Expansion of palliative care services
- Investment in trauma informed practice and service design training for government and non-government workers
- Build a robust mental health sector that reflects Canberra’s diversity, prioritising family programs, an adolescent mental health program and sub-acute mental health services
- More investment in alcohol and drug treatment facilities, including investment in the design and construction of an Aboriginal residential alcohol and other drugs (AOD) rehabilitation facility.
Read the full issue brief below for more details, or read other issue briefs on our ACT Election page.