Older Australians and Aged Care
29 September 2020
ACTCOSS 2020 ACT Election issue brief: Older Canberrans and Aged Care
For a just and fair Canberra, the next ACT Government must:
- Invest in social housing and community transport to meet community need, including for older Canberrans
- Commit to all new residential properties in the ACT built to meet Universal Design standards making them accessible to all people regardless of age, disability or other factors
- Provide a range of targeted supports and assistance points across the city for older Canberrans, including seniors hubs in the southern suburbs of the ACT (Tuggeranong) and in a northern suburb of Canberra
- Ensure footpaths in Canberra are suitable for people who are aged and enable independent community participation and support independence
- Commit to ending restrictive practices and ensure Australia’s Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture (OPCAT) obligations apply to all congregate living situations in the ACT, including aged care facilities
- Reduce violence and institutionalisation and fully fund the implementation of the Crimes (Offences Against Vulnerable People) Legislation Amendment Act 2020
- Ensure adequate levels of both wellbeing and mental health supports are available to Canberra’s older people and their carers
- Improve access to justice for older people engaged with the justice system by expanding individual advocacy supports
- Support respite opportunities including for carers and palliative care patients and their carers.
Read the full issue brief below for more details, or read other issue briefs on our ACT Election page.